Getriebe 4-Gang

Alles für den Hobbyschrauber
coralreef

Getriebe 4-Gang

Beitrag von coralreef »

Hi

I am in the search of a well functional Getriebe 4-Gang, for my Commodore A.

How is it with these types and models ? There are some for 6 zylinder and some for 4 ?

In which cars are they found ?

Opel Commodore A GS Coupe 1970(with a C26NE engine)

Antworten wie im Deutschen - ich verstehe die meisten :)
Commodåren

Beitrag von Commodåren »

There are basicly two sizes of the std 4-speed with both column- and floor shifters . The "reinforced" large can be found in ABC Commodores, 6 cyl KADs, Senators, Monzas and in the Rekord 22i(at least that´s what the guy whom i bought one of said it came from). The weaker version can be found in almost all of the rest with a 4-speed. It´s easy to tell them apart by looking at the output shaft, 6 cyl trannies have a beefier output shaft than the four cyl ones. There is also an Australian derived four speed in ca 80-82 Rekord diesels with a sport shifter that is easy to identify by it´s cast iron bellhousing. And last, but not least, there is the Getrag 264 found in Senators and Monzas with a 30S or E engine, that is basicly the same as a Getrag 265 without the fifth gear.
coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Perfect, super reply.

I have been walking around this problem for to long and now as it is winter something has to be done. Already when i bought the car from germany, the reverse was sounding terrible - LOUD teeth brushing sound.

Anyway, i have scrapped a car and have a gearbox from that(commo). It needs new gaskets and dichtrings, but they are fair in price so maybe thats a start. I opened it yesterday and it looks good inside - but i am on thin ice on such a subject.
I found the axel towards the engine to be kinda sloopy, as i could move it 2-3mm back and forth and 1-2mm up and down in the bearing ? Maybe thats how it should be towards the clutch and all ?
Small video here http://slottoennesen.dk/IMG_1321.MOV

So i might order a set of gaskets, dichtrings for the ein/ausgang and some oil. Restore that and hope it is in good shape.

Any other tests "on the floor" that can be done ?
Any good way of rinsing it out inside, could you use engine cleaning fluids(oil desolvers) and then steamwash the inside or is that a bad idea ?

Thanks

Commodåren

Beitrag von Commodåren »

It´s ok for the input shaft to feel loose, cause it´s supported by the pilot bearing in the crankshaft. I guess you have to test drive to find out the condition of the box. :)
coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Yes ofcause thanks.

Any good ideas of how to clean the inside of the gearbox ?

coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Where to find this:

http://altopelhilfe.de/altopelshop/inde ... ts_id=3160

But for the 6 cylinder commo getriebe ?

Commodåren

Beitrag von Commodåren »

I´m quite sure that the gaskets in the 6- and 4-cylinder trannies are the same, The output shaft seal is different due to the beefier shaft(I don´t know about the input shaft seal though). Try ordering the kit with only the gaskets and order the suitable output shaft seal separately. I couldn´t find any input shaft seal for the 6 cylinder trannie on the list in your link.
coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Looks like it, and the input shaft i think is the same looking at pictures.

And then it would be this one:

http://altopelhilfe.de/altopelshop/inde ... ts_id=2311

coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Pulled the "old" gearbox out today, and placed it on the floor next to the one i plan to install instead...

They are NOT the same :)

Gearbox 1 - From the car as bought, which is a 1970 commodore GS(engine is with normal stössel). The gearbox has the old opel logo.
Numbers on the gearbox "29 11 69"(date ?) and "2 877 374"(type?).

Gearbox 2 - From scrapcar bought, a 1971 commodore(engine is with hydros). The gearbox has the new opel logo.
Numbers on the gearbox "165" and "1:15 3" and "3 442 062"(not sure on the last one).

So did Opel switch gearbox types at that point also(along with engine changes) or are one of the gearboxes from something completely else ???

Gearbox nr 2 seams better and more tight(plus gearbox 1 has a BAD reverse) but lets find out what is what here first, before i install anything in the car.

Some pictures of them both:

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Commodåren

Beitrag von Commodåren »

There are of course small differencies regarding speedo cable, reverse light switch and shifter placements depending of model and year, but the main dimensions stay the same.
coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Commodåren hat geschrieben:There are of course small differencies regarding speedo cable, reverse light switch and shifter placements depending of model and year, but the main dimensions stay the same.
Yes off cause and i can see that. But i still find it interesting to know what is what and why ;).
Did they change gearbox around those years ? Any pros or cons ?

coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Is it possible to replace the Getriebegehäuseverlängerung dichtung, with out pulling out all the gears and shafts ?

In other words - how to pull of the Getriebegehäuseverlängerung from the Getriebe ?

I have it all cleaned and apart, and gaskets at hand, so it would be nice to replace them all...

the Brain

Beitrag von the Brain »

The Gearbox right on the Picture is correct. The Switch for the Reverselamps ist outside on the left side on this Gearbox. An yes ist starts building the Box on 29.11.68, Date of making the Gearboxhouse and the 2 877 374 is the Spare Parts Number from Opel for the Gearboxhouse.. But this is not the Katalognumber.

I can´t see it excatly but i think the Schwitch on the left Gearbox ist behind of it and screwed into the Box. When this is korrekt i think its an Commo B Gearbox but also its possible thats it from KAD B , started on Modelljahr ´72. But this i don´t know exactly.

I think that is often possible in 20-30 years of driving the Gearbox was broken down and it was not easy to get the right, more or less 150.000 Commo A and ca.100.000 KAD A+B were built. An think on the Automatic Transmissions, how many manuell Gearboxes, or the Steeringwheel Schwitch Gearboxes.
I also tried to learn something about them with the Numbers, but i cannot find Informations.
.....und Er lächelt, denn Er weiß: Das Böse siegt immer! 8)

Nix iss mir so lieb , wie der Heckantrieb........
coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

the Brain hat geschrieben:The Gearbox right on the Picture is correct. The Switch for the Reverselamps ist outside on the left side on this Gearbox. An yes ist starts building the Box on 29.11.68, Date of making the Gearboxhouse and the 2 877 374 is the Spare Parts Number from Opel for the Gearboxhouse.. But this is not the Katalognumber.
Yes ok, and also the one from the car as bought.
the Brain hat geschrieben:I can´t see it excatly but i think the Schwitch on the left Gearbox ist behind of it and screwed into the Box. When this is korrekt i think its an Commo B Gearbox but also its possible thats it from KAD B , started on Modelljahr ´72. But this i don´t know exactly.
As mentioned it came on a scrap car, a 1971 commo coupe with a standard 2.5 engine with hydro stössel, where as my 1970 commo had normal stössel. So i thought maybe Opel also installed new type of gearbox along with the engine changes maybe ?
Or it could be from a commo B - i dont know....

Anyway, it will be used now again in my car on the C26NE engine :).
the Brain hat geschrieben:I think that is often possible in 20-30 years of driving the Gearbox was broken down and it was not easy to get the right, more or less 150.000 Commo A and ca.100.000 KAD A+B were built. An think on the Automatic Transmissions, how many manuell Gearboxes, or the Steeringwheel Schwitch Gearboxes.
I also tried to learn something about them with the Numbers, but i cannot find Informations.
Okay thanks.

coralreef

Beitrag von coralreef »

Dichtring Getriebeeingang 4-Gang CIH - are they the same for 4 and 6 cylinders ?

Bild

Antworten